Okay, if you are
a real geologist, you probably enjoy transferring geology vocabulary
into everyday situations. For example, if you agree with what
someone has said, you may say, You breccia! or My sediments
And if you are not
pleased with the person's statement, you may resort to the old:
That's not gneiss!
geologists: Are you totally obsessed with geology? If so, then
you are a total immersion geologist. Here are the ten warning
1) You judge a restaurant by the type of decorative building
stone they use rather than their food.
2) You manage to turn any conversation into a discussion of
geology, as in:
"What did you think of that Superbowl game last night?"
"I must have missed that conference. Who sponsored it?
Geological Society of America?"
3) The only thing you notice about attractive members of the
opposite sex is the stone in their jewelry.
4) You refuse to let nightfall stop your field excursions and
continue looking at the outcrops using the headlights of your
5) You like rock music only because it's called "rock"
6) You will try to claw through the water flowing in a stream
to get a better look at the bedrock at the base of the channel.
7) You will walk across eight lanes of freeway traffic to see
if the outcrop on the other side of the highway is the same
type of rock as the side you're parked on.
8) You name your children after rocks and minerals.
9) You're not sure if you have children.
10) You view non-geologists as subhuman.